Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Woburn > The White Lion Inn Market Place Woburn

The White Lion Inn Market Place Woburn

Wheatsheaf in 1868 also showing Tavern R6-63-4-58
Map of the Wheatsheaf in 1868 [R6/63/4/58]

The White Lion Inn: Market Place, Woburn

Woburn has had three inns called the White Lion at different times. The first was in the Market Place, in a building which later became the Wheatsheaf. This inn closed before 1720, possibly around 1717 as this is the last date at which it is mentioned in the register of dues from property owed to the perpetual curate of Woburn [P118/3/1].

List of Sources:

  • P118/1/2: burial of a strange boy who died at inn: 17 Oct 1694;
  • P118/3/1: parochial dues: 1709-1717.

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1709-1712: Brooks;
1717: Brett;
before 1720: Joyce Paybody
Inn closed before 1720