4 Leighton Street Woburn
4 Leighton Street March 2012
Number 4 Leighton Street was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The original building may be 17th century, today’s front being added in the 18th century. The 17th century elements may be timber-framed, the 18th century elements are red brick. The roof is composed of 20th century tiles. The property comprises two storeys and attics. The plank door at the right hand side of the property opens onto a passageway through to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 4 Leighton Street [DV1/C126/142] found that, like most of Woburn it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates. The house was a manse for the town’s Congregational church and was occupied by Joseph Craig Kelly who paid rent of £20 per annum.
Accommodation comprised three living rooms and a kitchen downstairs with four bedrooms above and an attic above that. A coal barn and a W. C. lay outside. The house had gas lighting and mains water. The valuer noted: “House is let to the Church by the London & Devon Estates Company” and “Annual income from Congregational Church about £150”. His overall comment was: “poorish property”.