Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Woburn > 16 Bedford Street Woburn

16 Bedford Street Woburn

16 Bedford Street March 2012
16 Bedford Street March 2012

16 Bedford Street was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the early 18th century “apparently encasing an earlier structure", which strongly suggests that the original structure was damaged in the great fire of June 1724. The house has a red brick front with a chequerwork pattern using vitrified headers and a 20th century tiled roof. It has two storeys and attics and originally had two rooms upstairs and down.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 16 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/97] found that, like much of the town, it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.

The tenant was William Dorman whose rent was “in wages” and so obviously he worked for the duke. His accommodation comprised a living room, a reception room, a kitchen and pantry, a cellar, two bedrooms and two attics. Outside stood a washhouse and W. C. and a tool shed (“very good”). The valuer felt that the property was “not so good” as 17 Bedford Street as there was “no bathroom” and “smaller accommodation”.