10 and 12 George Street Woburn
10 and 12 George Street March 2012
10 and 12 George Street were listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The pair of houses dates from the early 19th century and is built in red brick with a roof composed of 20th century tiles. The houses have two storeys and attics each with a 20th century dormer window in the attic at the front.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 10 and 12 [DV1/C126/40 and 37] found that, like most of the town, Number 10 was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company. It was occupied by Cecil Sydney Vining who obviously worked for the duke as his rent was “in wages”. The house comprised a hall, two living rooms, a kitchen and a scullery with three bedrooms above and two attics above that. Outside stood a washhouse, a coal barn, a wood barn and a W. C. (“all brick and slate”).
Number 12 (then numbered 13 George Street) was in the occupation of Miss E. Chew, the parish nurse, and was owned by the Woburn Nursing Association. Her rent was £15 per annum. It comprised a reception room, a living room, a bathroom and a kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms, two attics and a boxroom above. A washhouse and W. C. stood outside.
Directories for the county were not published every year but every few years up to 1940. The parish or district nurse is listed from 1914. In this year and in 1920 the nurse, living in George Street, so probably at Number 12, was Miss Kate Addams. Miss Chew is listed in directories of 1924, 1928, 1931 and 1946 whilst in 1940 the nurse was Miss Leah Thomas, listed at 13 George Street (now Number 12).