Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Woburn > 4 Bedford Street Woburn

4 Bedford Street Woburn

4 Bedford Street May 2012
4 Bedford Street May 2012

4 Bedford Street was listed by the former Ministry of Works in October 1952 as Grade II, of special interest. It is part of the same building as 2 Bedford Street and is an early 18th century reworking of “an earlier, probably 17th century, structure”. This suggests that the building may have been damaged in the great fire of June 1724.

The building is constructed of brick, most of the front elevation being of vitrified bricks. The building is, however, “thought to contain a timber-framed core”. It has a 20th century tiled roof and comprises two storeys with attics. It may well have been the site of one of Woburn’s White Lion inns from about 1802 to about 1854.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 4 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/109] found that, like most of the town, it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company.

The tenant was J. W. Maydwell who paid rent of £12 per annum. Accommodation comprised a reception room measuring 9 feet by 13 feet 9 inches and a living room measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 15 feet. A cellar ran beneath. The first floor contained bedrooms measuring 14 feet 9 inches by 15 feet and 10 feet 3 inches by 14 feet 9 inches respectively. Two attics lay above this along with a small cupboard. A large barn and a washhouse stood outside along with a kitchen, barn and W. C. The valuer commented: “No garden, on Road”.