Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Woburn > The Crooked Billet Public House Woburn

The Crooked Billet Public House Woburn

The Crooked Billet Public House: Woburn

This public house is known only from licensees being mentioned in the register of dues owed to the Vicar of Woburn for premises in the parish; it seems to have been very short lived, opening in or around 1720 and closing in or around 1731.

Interestingly the licensee Richard Fisher was also licensee of the Plough, which the register notes was burned in the great fire in Woburn in June 1724 (which destroyed thirty nine houses). It seems that Fisher moved his business to the Crooked Billet whilst the Plough was being rebuilt. He left both houses in 1731/2. The record does not show where the inn was but, if was near the Plough, would have been somewhere in the market square, perhaps behind 17-18 Market Place

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1720-1721: Turner/Taylor;
1721-1724: John Burrows/John Taylor;
1725-1731: Richard Fisher.
Public house closed around 1731

List of Sources Held at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service:

  • P118/3/1: parochial dues: 1709-1796