Whitegates - 153 High Street Riseley
Whitegates - 153 High Street April 2015
Whitegates was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century "or earlier" with an 18th century front block. It is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and has an old clay tiled roof. It is built in a T-shape, with the later block added to gable end of cross-wing parallel with main block. The house comprises two storeys. There is a lean-to pantiled addition to the cross-wing, forming infilling between the two parallel blocks.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C217/45-48] found that it was owned by Lord saint John of Bletsoe and divided into four dwellings. The portion on the road was occupied by W Packwood who paid rent of 32/12/- for a kitchen and two bedrooms with a weather-boarded and tiled barn outside. The middle portion was in occupation of Mrs S Fairey who paid £2 per annum for a kitchen and two bedrooms. The rear portion was divided between J Dickens who paid £3 per annum for a kitchen and two bedrooms and T Farrant who paid £2/10/- per annum for a living room and kitchen. The valuer commented: "All mixed up under one roof".