105 High Street Riseley
105 High Street April 2015
105 High Street is one of the oldest buildings in the parish, dating from the late 16th or early 17th century. It is a timber-framed building, re-fronted in the 19th century and partially re-fenestrated in the 20th century. It comprises one storey and attics and has a 20th century cement tiled roof. There is a 20th century flat-roofed extension at the rear. There is a cellar at the rear and dairy on the right-hand side with a brick paved floor and central drainage channel.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C217/25] found that it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe and occupied by F Wise whose rent was £53/10/- per annum, which included 27.786 acres of land. The house comprised a living room, parlour and kitchen with two bedrooms upstairs. There was also a store room.
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. The property formed Lot 38 and was in occupation of J W Surridge whose rent was £21 per annum. The plot comprised 1 acre, 3 roods, 25 poles and the house contained a living room, a sitting room, a kitchen, scullery and cellar ad two bedrooms. Water came from a well and an earth closet stood outside. Farm buildings comprised: three pigsties; a three-bay implement shed; a timber and corrugated iron barn; a timber and tiled two-bay implement shed; five timber and tiled loose boxes and a fodder room.