118 High Street Riseley
118 High Street April 2015
118 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof. It is built in an L-shape and has one storey and attics. The rear wing is a later addition.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C217/90] found it owned and occupied by Mrs Hartop ("not at home") and that it was called Ivy Lodge. It comprised a living room, kitchen, scullery and two bedrooms. A plaster and thatched washhouse and barn and two weather-boarded and tiled barns all stood outside.