16 to 20 High Street Riseley
16 to 20 High Street April 2015
This row of cottages was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century with 19th century alterations and is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and brick; the roofs are 20th century tiles. The row is in a T-shape and cottages comprise two storeys. The left-hand bay of the main block is a 19th century addition.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the block of four dwellings [DV1/C222/28-32] found they were owned by the Ancient Order of Foresters, which also owned 22 High Street. They and 22 High Street were together known as Riseley Court. Sadly the map at this point is too torn to make out how the block was divided and who the individual tenants in each division were but the notebook lists the following:
- J Hancock – rent £4/7/- per annum for a living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and brick and tiled barn;
- Miss Hutchins – rent £3 per annum for a kitchen, scullery, two bedrooms and a brick and tiled barn;
- Miss Sawford – rent £3 per annum for a living room, kitchen and bedroom; the valuer noted that the next dwelling utilised space over the ground floor for one of its bedrooms;
- Mrs R Sharman - £3 per annum for a kitchen, scullery and two bedrooms;
- Miss A Sharman - £3 per annum for a kitchen, scullery, two bedrooms and a brick and tiled barn.