Three Bears Cottage - 161 High Street Riseley
Three Bears Cottage - 161 High Street April 2015
Three Bears Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974, when it was known as Low Thatch, as Grade Ii, of special interest. The cottage dates from about 1700 and is colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame and brick with a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics and has a lean-to addition at the south-west gable end and 20th century garage extension to the north-east.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C217/50] found that it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe and occupied by J G Rootham whose rent was £7/16/- per annum for a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms.
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. 161 High Street formed Lot 28 and comprised ten poles and a cottage containing sitting room, living room, pantry and two bedrooms. There was an outside earth closet but mains water was connected. The tenant, H J Salter paid rent of £13 per annum.
In 1988 planning permission was sought for alterations [BorBTP/88/162/LB]