Rose Bank - 57 High Street Riseley
Rosebank - 57 High Street April 2015
Rose Bank was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage has an inscription "TD 1745" but is reckoned to be a 17th century building in origin. It is built of colour-washed roughcast over a substantial timber frame and has an old clay tiled roof. The north-east bay was originally a stable with a loft over.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C215/145] found it owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe and occupied by S Childs whose rent was £13 per annum for a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and three bedrooms. A brick and tiled washhouse with a loft over and a barn joining the house stood outside. The valuer noted: "good garden" and "quite a useful place". He also noted the date stone of 1745 and the ascription to TD.
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. 57 High Street was Lot 42. It comprised 2 acres, 2 roods, 2 poles and was leased by W Measures whose rent was £49/15/- per annum. The cottage comprised a lounge, dining room, kitchen and three bedrooms. Mains water and electricity were both connected and an earth closet stood outside. The farm buildings comprised: a brick and tiled shed with a loft over and a bath installed by the tenant; four brick and tiled pigsties and a timber and tiled barn and store.