8 to 12 Gold Street Riseley
8 to 12 Gold Street April 2015
The row comprising 8 to 12 Gold Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is timber-framed with colour-washed roughcast render and thatched roofs. Cottages comprise one storey and attics. There are single storey additions to the front left-hand side and to south-east gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the row of cottages [DV1/C215/139-141] found they were all owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe. Number 8 was occupied by J Sharman who paid £3/15/- per annum for a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and two bedrooms. A weather-boarded and tiled barn, a store and an old pigsty all stood outside.
Number 10 was in occupation of T Askew who worked for Lord Saint John. He had a living room and kitchen downstairs and two bedrooms above with a plastered and thatched barn attached. Number 12 was tenanted by D Walker whose rent was £3/12/6 per annum for a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A plaster and thatched barn stood outside.
On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. 8 to 12 Gold Street formed Lot 48 standing in 27 poles of land. Each dwelling contained a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, though Number 8 had an additional room downstairs; Number 12 had electricity installed. All had a barn and earth closet outside. Water came from a standpipe on Gold Street. Number 8 was occupied by J Sharman whose rent was £5/5/- per annum, 10 by A Gilder who paid £5/4/- and Number 12 was in occupation of Mrs Marshall whose rent was £14/6/- per annum.
The rear of 8 to 12 Gold Street April 2015