133 High Street Riseley
133 High Street April 2015
133 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade Ii, of special interest. The house dates from the 18th century with additions and alterations. It is timber-framed rendered in colour-washed roughcast with chequered brick casing at the gable ends and a 19th century chequered brick addition at the rear. The main block has an old clay tiled roof and the rea extension is pantiled.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the house [DV1/C217/37] found that it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe and occupied by G T Harris whose rent was £16 per annum for a living room, kitchen, scullery and washhouse with three bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled coal barn and a wood barn stood outside along with a brick and tiled store with a loft over "used by arrangement by Mr Valentine who employs occupier of above". Harris also had a weather-boarded and tiled barn, two loose boxes, lean-to cart lodge, two bay hovel, two cow sheds and cattle box which were all used by Valentine. He also leased a grass field of just over half an acre.