Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Riseley > Riseley Lodge

Riseley Lodge

Riseley Lodge in 1951 [AD1147/32]
Riseley Lodge in 1951 [AD1147/32]

Riseley Lodge served as an entrance lodge to Melchbourne Park. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It was built in 1832, the architect being Henry Garling who designed a building in the Neo-Tudor style. It is constructed from ashlar, with limestone tiles to the roof. The main wing has two storeys with single storey wings to three sides. A 20th century flat-roofed extension projects from the west elevation.

On 31st March 1951 Lord Saint John's estate in Melchbourne, Bletsoe and Riseley, known as the Melchbourne Estate and totalling 1,889 acres was put up for sale by auction in 81 lots [AD1147/32]. Riseley Lodge was Lot 24. The lodge stood in 32 poles of land and comprised a living room, kitchen, boxroom and one bedroom above. An earth closet stood outside and water came from a standpipe in the road. It was tenanted by F Gell and the particulars note: "The Purchaser will, on completion of the Purchase, grant to the Tenant (who is aged about 84) a lease for Life at a yearly rent of one shilling per annum, the Purchaser to be responsible for all outgoings and repairs".