170 High Street Riseley
170 High Street April 2015
170 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 18th century and is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with a pantiled roof. It comprises one storey and attics and has later one storey additions at the north-east gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C217/51] found that it was owned and occupied by E Rootham. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms with a weather-boarded and tiled washhouse outside. Adjoining the house to the north-east was a range of farm buildings containing a brick and corrugated iron barn and henhouse, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron sty, a brick and tiled sty and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron cattle shelter.