Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Riseley > 59 High Street Riseley

59 High Street Riseley

59 High Street stands in a field a long way back from the High Street. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century and is constructed of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with an old clay tiled roof. It comprises two storeys and has 20th century single-storey extensions to south-west and north-east.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Field House, as it was called [DV1/C215/125], found it owned and occupied by E D Valentine. It comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and a scullery and pantry with four bedrooms above. A brick and tiled barn stood outside. The valuer commented: "Good type".

E D Valentine also had a nearby grass field of 3.773 acres and farm buildings. These included a weather-boarded and tiled pigsty with a range of three further pigsties, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron cart shed and a store. There was also a building measuring 60 feet by 20 feet closer to the High Street which was used as a corn merchant's store.