160 High Street Riseley
160 High Street April 2015
160 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest.The house dates from the 17th century and is built of colour-washed roughcast over a timber frame with an old clay tiled roof. It is built in an L-shape with two storeys. Originally it extended further south-west.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C217/73] found that it was owned by Lord Saint John of Bletsoe and occupied by J Macrow ("not at home") who had a living room, kitchen and two bedrooms. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside. At this time the property was part of a "poor row of stucco cottages" extending south-west, as noted above. They were occupied by C Pope and B Gell, both had a kitchen and two bedrooms, Pope's house also having a living room.