The Three Horseshoes Public House Riseley
In 1793 the Three Horseshoes in Riseley, with other property, was conveyed by Elizabeth Bletsoe to Bedford innkeeper Richard Gell [SJ1946]. It had previously been purchased by Nathaniel Rowlett from Mary Curtiss it 1725. It formed part of Parker's Farm. In 1799 the inn, referred to as the Horse Shoes, with a yard adjoining and Seven Acre Close was conveyed to Saint Neots [Huntingdonshire] brewer William Fowler [SJ1946]. In 1801 William and George Fowler conveyed the Three Horse Shoes to publican Thomas Cole for £304 [SJ1946]. By 1813 the inn had closed. In this year Philip Dickins mortgaged a cottage and shop in Riseley "heretofore known by the name of the Three Horse Shoes with yard belonging heretofore in occupation of Samuel Hart, since William Smith and now of Philip Dickins" [SJ1972]. In 1822 Dickins conveyed the cottage to William Day of Saint Neots [SJ1865]. Day's executors sold the cottage to Alfred Croot in 1855 [STuncat604].
- STuncat604: 1766-1931
- P50/28/1-2 and SJ1946: conveyance: 1793;
- P50/28/5 and SJ1946: conveyance: 1799
- SJ1946: conveyance: 1801;
- SJ1972: mortgage: 1813
- SJ1865: conveyance: 1822