Town Farm - 10 High Street Riseley
Town Farmhouse - 10 High Street April 2015
Town Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century, though altered in 18th and 19th centuries. It is timber-framed with red brick facing to the north-west elevation and elsewhere is rendered in colour-washed roughcast. It has a 20th century clay tiled roof and is built in a T-shape with additions, comprising two storeys. There is a single storey and attic extension in red brick to the south-east gable end.
The barn by the road was listed at the same and was built in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is timber-framed with some red brick infill and weather-boarding, sitting on a brick plinth. The roof is pantiled. A lower 19th century wing projects from the north of the east elevation
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farm found it was owned and occupied by David Waldock. It comprised 389 acres and the valuer commented: "Bought Town and Lansdown [farms] 1902 Tidbury [farm] 1920. Pumps from well, shallow, no other. Buildings from tank and pond, lane to Lansdown and Tidbury unpassable in winter. Boundary ditches not cleared out. Whitwick Green ditches swamp Tidbury. Done a lot of draining". Another hand noted: "Nice farm. Good arable. Well farmed".
The farmhouse comprised two parlours, a kitchen, a dairy, another parlour, a conservatory and five bedrooms. The homestead contained: a henhouse; a sheep hovel; a hut; a granary; four piggeries; a six horse stable; a three horse stable; a cow place; a barn; a two bay hovel; two more piggeries; two loose boxes; a three bay hovel; a bull pen; a barn used as loose boxes; a nag stable; a coach house and a cow shed. There was also a store barn at Lansdown Farm and a stable, two loose boxes, an open shed and barn in bad repair at Tidbury Farm.
In 1934 Town Farm was put up for sale by David Waldock's executor [Z720/1/38]. Victoria Farm, Keysoe was included in the sale.