The Windmill Inn Woburn
On the green space were, receding from the camera, The Swan, The White Horse and The Windmill
The Windmill Inn: Leighton Street, Woburn
This inn stood on the south side of Leighton Street near the junction with George Street. It is first mentioned in the register of parochial dues in 1725 [P118/3/1] and may have opened around that time. It is last mentioned in the parochial assessment book in 1824 [P118/28/2] and thus may have closed about that time.
In 1806 a probate inventory was undertaken on the premises following the death of Mary Nichols [ABP/4/200]. At that time the inn consisted of: garrets [attics]; a landing; a best bedroom; a family bedroom; a brewhouse; a kitchen; a parlour; cellars. It seems to have been abutted east by the Coach & Horses, which was just west of the corner building on George Street/Leighton Street but was demolished in the 1820s. Immediately to the west seems to have stood the White Horse.
List of Sources Held at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service:
- P118/3/1: parochial dues: 1709-1796 [1725-1796];
- P118/28/2: parochial assessment book: 1802-1833;
- ABP/4/200: probate inventory: 1806;
- R1/78: Thomas Evans' map accompanying R2/69: 1821;
- R2/69: Detailed survey of Woburn made by Thomas Evans for the Duke of Bedford: 1822.
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1725-1745: Richard Pickard;
1748-1749: Mathew Chessum;
1785: William Nichols;
1787-1806: Mary Nichols;
1807-1824: David Whiteman