Lion Lodge Woburn
Lion Lodge March 2012
Lion Lodge is an attractive building at the entrance to Woburn Park along the road leading from Woburn to Eversholt through the park itself. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest.
The lodge probably dates from the late 18th century, meaning it was constructed for Francis, 5th Duke of Bedford. It is covered in stucco and has a slate roof. Like most lodges, it comprises one storey. The gate piers with lions on them immediately adjacent to the lodge, one either side of the road, were listed as Grade II*, that is they are more important than a simple Grade II structure. The statues are of Coade stone on ashlar piers. The lower parts of the piers are thought to be mid 18th century and the upper part late 18th century. Coade Stone was an artificial stone for sculptors called lithodipyra, invented about 1770 by Mrs. Eleanor Coade.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting Lion Lodge [DV1/C140/41] found it occupied by J. Young and comprising a parlour, a kitchen, two bedrooms, a scullery and a pantry. Water was laid on but an earth closet stood outside.