Bedford Estates Cottages in Newport Road
Newport Road cottages May 2012
The Dukes of Bedford built numerous estate cottages in the various parishes in which they owned land from the mid 19th century into the 20th century. There were a number of different types but all are instantly recognisable as Bedford Estates properties. Fittingly the highest number was built in Woburn.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 1 to 4 Newport Road [DV1/C137/51-54] found the following:
- 1 Newport Road: occupied by William Champkin whose rent was 2/6 per week for a living room with a bay of 7 feet 6 inches by 2 feet 6 inches, a kitchen and a washhouse downstairs with three bedrooms above.
- 2 Newport Road: in the occupation of F. Carling whose rent was 1/6 per week for a living room with a 7 feet 6 inches by 2 feet 6 inches bay, a kitchen, a washhouse, a pantry and three bedrooms. A barn and W. C. stood outside;
- 3 Newport Road: leased by John Cook whose details were identical to Number 2;
- 4 Newport Road: in the occupation of Harry Timms whose details wee identical to Number 2.