6 Bedford Street Woburn
6 Bedford Street May 2012
6 Bedford Street is part of the same building as 5 and 7 Bedford Street. It was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. It is built of red brick but encases some timber framing. The building is dated to the early 18th century but the core, including the timber framing is thought to be older. Perhaps this was one of the buildings damaged in the great fire of June 1724 requiring significant rebuilding. The house comprises two bays, each of two storeys and attics under a clay tile roof. The property was probably part of an ancient inn called the Dolphin, which closed around 1796.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Woburn, like much of the county was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 6 Bedford Street [DV1/C137/107] found that it was owned, like Number 5, by William H. Smith. The property was vacant at the time of inspection.
The building comprised: a shop measuring 11 feet by 15 feet; a living room measuring 9 feet by 12 feet and a kitchen measuring 9 feet by 14 feet on the ground floor. The first floor contained three bedrooms measuring, respectively, 21 feet by 11 feet, 18 feet 6 inches by 8 feet and 19 feet by 13 feet 6 inches. Two attics lay above. Outside were a barn with a loft over and a W. C. along with a store shed (“late collapsed”). The valuer commented: “Very mixed up with 108 [5 Bedford Street]. House bad and not worth £15 [per annum]”.