79 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
79 is one of the few 19th century buildings left in George Street. It was first listed in a directory of 1885 when it was in the occupation of Anthony John Rakes, straw hat manufacturer. Kelly's Directory for Bedfordshire of 1894 lists Mrs. Richard Baker, milliner, as occupant; she was last listed in 1910 when she shared the premises with E. Deacon and Sons, jewellers, who were also at 77 George Street.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Street took place in 1928.
79 (nearest the camera) to 61 George Street about 1910 [Z1306/75]
This premises, like 77, was owned by the trustees of Edwin Deacon and occupied by E. Deacon & Sons, jewellers and china and glass dealers. 79 George Street was the jewellery shop and had a frontage of 20 feet to George Street and a return frontage of 33 feet 9 inches to Wellington Street.
The shop itself measured 23 feet 3 inches by 33 feet 6 inches. The basement beneath comprised two rooms measuring 21 feet 6 inches by 20 feet and 12 feet 6 inches by 3 feet 6 inches, both "empty". The first floor contained a front office measuring 0 feet by 12 feet 6 inches, two workrooms measuring 11 feet by 21 feet and 32 feet 3 inches by 8 feet 6 inches and a back store measuring 10 feet by 10 feet 6 inches. The second floor contained front stores measuring 11 feet 6 inches by 12 feet 6 inches and 9 feet 6 inches by 13 feet 6 inches respectively, a back store measuring 15 feet 3 inches by 10 feet and a back lumber room measuring 13 feet 6 inches by 10 feet.
Kelly's Directory for 1950 lists the occupier as Stones (Fashions) LImited. By 1965 they were sharing the pemises with Saxone Shoe Company which was the sole occupier from at least 1968 until the last Kelly's for Luton in 1975.
Wellington Street return frontage of 77 to 79 George Street June 2010