12 and 14 High Town Road Luton
12 and 14 High Town Road June 2011
12 and 14 High Town Road were separate rpemises until the mid 1920s when they were brought together udner the ownership of fried fish dealer Frederick George Warwick. Number 12 had been a fishmonger's premises since at least 1885 with 14, presumably, a private house. The property has been associated with food for over a hundred years as it was later used as a cafe and today  Number 12 sells food and alcohol particularly to the local East European population.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sadly, a detailed inspection of 12 and 14 High Town Road has not survived. Nevertheless, an assessment of the whole of High Town Road [DV1/T38] shows that the premises was owned and occupied by Frederick George Warwick, who, directories, reveal, was a fried fish dealer, in other words he supplied 1920s fast food! 12 High Town Road had been a fish dealer’s shop since at least 1885.
Directories for Bedfordshire were published every few years from 1839, for example, the beginning of the 20th century has directories for 1903, 1906, 1910 and 1914. Countywide directories ceased to be published during the Second World War, the last for Bedfordshire being in 1940. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has directories just for Luton for 1939, 1950, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1972, 1974 and 1975. The first street numbers in High Town Road begin to appear in directories in 1885.
- 1885: 12 – Albert Andrews, fish dealer;
- 1890: 12 – Albert Andrews, fish dealer;
- 1894: 12 - Albert Andrews, fish dealer;
- 1898: 12 - Albert Andrews, fish dealer; Andrews and Lacey, timber merchants;
- 1903: 12 – David Skipp, fishmonger;
- 1906: 12 – David Skipp, fishmonger;
- 1914: Albert John Howard, fried fish dealer;
- 1920: 12 – Frederick G. Warwick, fried fish dealer;
- 1924: Frederick G. Warwick, fried fish dealer;
- 1928: Frederick G. Warwick, fried fish dealer;
- 1931: Frederick G. Warwick, fried fish dealer;
- 1936: Warwicks Limited, fried fish dealer;
- 1939: F. G. Warwick Limited;
- 1940: Warwicks Limited, fried fish dealer;
- 1950: F. G. Warwick Limited;
- 1960: not listed;
- 1965: Carousel Café;
- 1968: Carousel Café;
- 1972: Carousel Café
- 1974: Carousel Café;
- 1975: Carousel Café;
- 2011: 12 - Méta Shop Pardotuve, food and alcohol.