26 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
26 George Street is first listed in directories in 1885 when it was occupied by John Welch, fishmonger. By Kelly's Directory of 1894 the occupier was Mrs. Mary Ann Cawdell, tobacconist. By 1903 E. Deacon and Sons, jewellers, which also occupied Number 24 ran their business from the address. The firm is last mentioned at the property in 1914.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Streettook place in 1928. At that date the property was occupied by Barclays Bank along with their original premises next door at Number 28.
Kelly's Directory for both 1939 and 1950 shows the property in shared occupation - Barclays Bank and Charles H. Butcher. Folowing this the property is not mentioned again in any surviving directories and the site now lies beneath a modern building.
22 to 30 George Street June 2010