53 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
53 George Street stood on the north-east corner of George Street West. It was first listed in a directory in 1869 when it was in the occupation of Stormer and Son, tailors. This firm is last listed at the address in 1894. It was an old concern and was first listed in George Street, premises number not given in 1847. The entry for 1877 noted that as well as tailors they were agents for Scottish Union Fire and Life Assurance.
In 1898 Thomas Keens junior, "corporate accountant, insurance broker, stock and share dealer" was in occupation as well as Luton Liberal Club and Buildings Company Limited, of which Keens was secretary. A third occupier was William Adolphe Stimson, tailor. By 1903 the Chamber of Commerce is aso listed at the address. Keens was last listed in Kelly's Directory for the county of 1906, as was the Chamber of Commerce and Luton Liberal Club. In that year the Luton Mutual Plate Glass Insurance Association Limited was also in occupation.
By the time of Kelly's Directory for 1910 it was all change. New occupiers were: Camp, Ellis and Company, solicitors; Wiliam J. Goodyear, confectioner and Luton Tradesmen's Association. William Adolphe Stimson was still in residence and was last listed in 1914, as was Camp, Ellis, which had become Camp, Ellis, Kelly and Company with the addition of Norman Edward Kelly to the firm. Luton Tradesmen's Association is also last listed in that year.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Street took place in 1928.
53 George Street was owned and occupied by Button Brothers Limited, outfitters [DV1/R7/49]. They had been in occupation since at least 1920. They later occupied 41 and 43 George Street. The frontage to George Street was 24 feet 6 inches and the return frontage to George Street West was 32 feet. The basement was used for heating and measured 22 feet 6 inches by 29 feet. The shop area, with an "island window" was divided into three areas measuring 20 feet 6 inches by 30 feet, 13 feet 9 inches by 15 feet and 22 feet by 44 feet. A cutting room measuring 19 feet by 12 feet 6 inches led off the public area and a work room at the rear measured 24 feet 3 inches by 16 feet 9 inches.
The first floor contained three show rooms measuring 12 feet 9 inches by 15 feet, 9 feet by 13 feet 6 inches and 22 feet 3 inches by 45 feet. A front office measured 7 feet 9 inches by 14 feet; two front sitting rooms measured 5 feet 9 inches by 10 feet 3 inches and 7 feet by 10 feet 3 inches and there were also two lavatories. The second floor comprised two front store rooms measuring 12 feet by 14 feet and 9 feet square and a back store room measuring 21 feet by 12 feet 6 inches. The valuer commented: ""Good light" whilst another hand has written: "But not well lighted at back".
36 George Street is last listed in Kelly's Directory for 1936. It was then demolished to make way for the new Savoy Cinema.