27 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
27 George Street was first listed in a directory in 1871 when George Pigott, butcher, was in occupation. He is listed as being somewhere in George Street in directories of 1854, 1864 and 1869 and before that, in 1839, 1847 and 1850 a Francis Pigott is listed as a butcher in George Street. It seems at least plausible that the Pigotts had occupied 27 George Street as a butcher's shop since at least 1839. George Pigott was still at the premises in 1877 but by 1885 it was Arthur Pigott, who is last listed in Kelly's Directory for 1898. By the time of the directory for 1903 Boots Cash Chemist (Eastern) Limited was in occupation.
Built date of 27 George Street June 2010
A plaque on the Chapel Street return frontage indicates that the current premises was built in 1915. The other date on the frontage indicates that something was established in 1874 although what this refers to is a mystery as it cannot apply to the Pigotts or subsequent occupiers Boots (founded 1849) or Hepworths (founded 1864).
Established date on 27 George Street June 2010
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Streettook place in 1928.
At this date 27 George Street was owned as well as occupied by Boots, the chemist [DV1/R7/39]. The building contained a basement store measuring 23 feet 6 inches by 44 feet wit ha smaller room measuring 10 feet by 17 feet as well as a boiler house measuring 11 feet by 15 feet. The ground floor had a frontage to George Street of 28 feet 3 inches and a return frontage of 63 feet to Chapel Street. The public area, noted by the valuer as a "fine shop" consisted of two spaces measuring 25 feet by 15 feet and 23 feet 6 inches by 51 feet respectively, together with a gallery measuring 3 feet 6 inches by 43 feet. The yard outside was covered by glass.
27 George Street June 2010
The first floor contained the fancy goods showroom measuring 23 feet 6 inches by 60 feet as well as a lavatory. The second floor contained three stock rooms measuring 17 feet 3 inches by 14 feet, 7 feet 6 inches by 15 feet and 13 feet 6 inches by 15 feet. There was also a tea room measuring 13 feet 6 inches by 14 feet 6 inches, a cloakroom, lavatory and store measuring 9 feet by 11 feet 6 inches. The valuer's overall comments were: "Modern building, first class showrooms and Elevation, very attractive, fine corner site".
Boots continued to occupy the building until at least 1960, Kelly's Directory for Luton of 1965 indicating that the premises was then vacant. By 1968 J. Hepworth Limited, tailors, which had occupied 47 George Street since 1903, were in occupation and were still there at the time of the last Kelly's for Luton in 1975. The current  occupier is estate agent, Taylors.
Chapel Street return frontage of 27 George Street June 2010