22 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
22 George Street first occurs in a directory in 1869 when William Underwood, draper and tailor was in occupation. He remained at the property until at least 1877 but by 1894 George Underwood, outfitter, is listed as occupier, he stayed unti lat least 1906. By 1910 Foster Brothers Clothing Company was in occupation.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Streettook place in 1928.
The valuer visiting 22 George Street [DV1/R7/24] found that it was owned by Luton Corporation and let to Foster Brothers Clothing Company Limited on a 7 or 14 years lease from 1924 at a rent of £225 per annum for the first seven years, then £250 per annum for the second period of seven years. The frontage was 21 feet 6 inches.
The basement, under the shop, was not used. The shop was divided into two areas of 18 feet 6 inches by 15 feet and 18 feet by 22 feet. The ground floor also had a kitchen measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 13 feet, a scullery and pantry, a sitting room measuring 15 feet 6 inches square and a brick and slate shed in the yard.
The first floor contained bedrooms measuring 15 feet 6 inches square, 13 feet 6 inches by 9 feet 6 inches and 13 feet by 10 feet as well as a bathroom and w. c. These were not used - "Manager used to live here". The landing was used as a store. There was a front store measuring 19 feet square and a store over the gateway measuring 8 feet 6 inches by 18 feet. The second floor contained three rooms used as stores though only two sets of dimensions are given - 18 feet square and 8 feet 6 inches by 18 feet. The valuer noted: "Going to be rebuilt" and "Ordinary window, poor looking place".
Foster Brothers remained in occupation until at least 1972, sharing the premises from at least 1960 with Ronald W. Locke. The last Kelly's Directory for Luton, 1975, lists the place as vacant.
22 to 30 George Street June 2010