48 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the image
48 George Street was first listed in 1885 when it was in the occupation of Arnold and Company, straw hat manufacturers. The first was first listed in a directory of 1877 when it was at an undisclosed location in George Street.
By 1903 the premises was occupied by A. Hucklesby and Company, straw hat manufacturers, which also occupied 46 George Street. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Street took place in 1928.
34 (nearest the camera) to 48 George Street about 1910 [Z1306/75]
The valuer discovered that 48 George Street was owned as well as occupied by A. Hucklesby & Company Limited. The basement had an 8 feet high ceiling and two areas measuring 23 feet 9 inches by 18 feet and 17 feet 6 inches by 24 feet 6 inches respectively.
A covered yard measured 8 feet 6 inches by 27 feet and a ground floor sale room had two areas measuring 19 feet 6 inches by 18 feet and 17 feet 6 inches by 25 feet respectively. A first floor showroom had two areas measuring 19 feet 6 inches by 18 feet 6 inches and 17 feet 6 inches by 25 feet.
The second floor comprised a back office measuring 14 feet 6 inches by 12 feet 3 inches and a front store measuring 17 feet 6 inches by 30 feet. The third floor comprised a front store measuring 25 feet by 19 feet and a back store measuring 18 feet by 23 feet 6 inches.
46 to 48 George Street June 2010