41 George Street Luton
George Street in 1901 - to see a larger version, please click on the inage
41 George Street is first mentioned in directories in 1894 when it was in the occupation of Ephraim Hall, chemist. Hall was listed in George Street in directories of 1890 and 1885 and so may have been at the address for ten years or so by 1894. A directory of 1869 lists him in High Town. By 1898 he was sharing the premises with dentist Robert Melvin Fleming, who had been listed at 37 George Street in 1885. Fleming is last listed at the address in a directory of 1906 and Hall in one of 1920.
From at least 1910 until at least 1924 the premises was shared by Bertram Thomas Pannell, artificial teeth maker, though he is called a dentist in 1924, when Ephraim Hall is no longer in occupation. Pianoforte dealer Arthur Day was listed at the premises from at least 1920 until at least 1928 and Fleming, Reid and COmpany Limited, "wool repository" over a similar period of time.
29 to 41 (furthest from camera) George Street about 1900 [Z1306/75]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and building in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service is lucky in having the valuer's notebook covering most of George Street. Evidence in the book shows that the survey of George Street took place in 1928.
41 George Street was owned by Arthur Day, the pianoforte dealer, and the valuer found it was then solely occupied by Fleming Reid & Company Limited, which paid £300 per annum in rent. The basement was "not used, no good". The frontage to George Street was 17 feet with a return frontage of 9 feet facing south-east down George Street towards Market Hill. The shop was divided into three sections measuring 17 feet 3 inches by 15 feet, 15 feet 9 inches by 7 feet 6 inches and 10 feet 9 inches by 13 feet 6 inches. A small back room measured 8 feet by 8 feet 6 inches and was "very dark". A later hand has added: "Demolished September 1937".
Kelly's Directory for 1936 lists Jay's, house furnishers at 41 George Street. As we have seen the premises was demolished in the following year and directories from 1939 until the last Kelly's for Luton, in 1975, list Button Brothers LImited, outfitters as occupiers.
41 to 43 George Street June 2010