Businesses at 46 High Town Road have been largely clothing based, boot and shoe dealers, milliners or drapers. At the time of writing  the shop sells discotheque supplies.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sadly, a detailed inspection of 46 High Town Road has not survived. Nevertheless, an assessment of the whole of High Town Road [DV1/T38] shows that both premises were owned by Jesse Fountain, who had formerly run a boot and shoe dealer from the premises, and occupied by Frederick James Ritchie who, directories reveal, was an upholsterer.
Directories for Bedfordshire were published every few years from 1839, for example, the beginning of the 20th century has directories for 1903, 1906, 1910 and 1914. Countywide directories ceased to be published during the Second World War, the last for Bedfordshire being in 1940. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has directories just for Luton for 1939, 1950, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1972, 1974 and 1975. The first street numbers in High Town Road begin to appear in directories in 1885.
- 1890: Bartle Frederick Rollings, draper;
- 1894: Alfred Pridmore, watchmaker;
- 1898: Grace and Son, confectioners;
- 1903: Frank T. Blackabey, hairdresser, tobacco dealer and beer retailer [also at 44 High Town Road];
- 1906: Jesse Fountain, boot and shoe dealer;
- 1910: Jesse Fountain, boot and shoe dealer;
- 1914: Jesse Fountain, boot and shoe dealer;
- 1920: Frederick James Ritchie, upholsterer;
- 1924: Frederick James Ritchie, upholsterer;
- 1928: Frederick James Ritchie, upholsterer;
- 1931: Mrs. Doris Tansley, milliner;
- 1936: D. Lawson (Mrs Doris Tansley, proprietoress), milliner;
- 1939: Hubert Lawrence;
- 1940: E. & M. Dunbar Limited, drapers;
- 1950: E. & M. Dunbar Limited;
- 1960: Moyra, draper; Thomas J. Carter;
- 1965: Moyra, draper;
- 1968: Thomas J. Carter;
- 1972: Moyra, draper; Thomas J. Carter;
- 1974: A. Rehmann, draper;
- 1975: Moyra, draper;
- 2011: South East Sound & Light, disco supplies.