69 High Town Road Luton
67 to 71 High Town Road, June 2011
69 High Town Road was a greenbrocer's shop for much of the 20th century. At the time of writing  it is a tailor's shop.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sadly, a detailed inspection of 69 High Town Road has not survived. Nevertheless, an assessment of the whole of High Town Road [DV1/T38] shows that the premises was owned by the trustees of Wallace B. Cox , who also owned 67 High Town Road next door, and occupied by Frederick Wilson who, directories tell us, ran a greengrocery business.
Directories for Bedfordshire were published every few years from 1839, for example, the beginning of the 20th century has directories for 1903, 1906, 1910 and 1914. Countywide directories ceased to be published during the Second World War, the last for Bedfordshire being in 1940. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has directories just for Luton for 1939, 1950, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1972, 1974 and 1975. The first street numbers in High Town Road begin to appear in directories in 1885 but it looks as if there was some renumbering of properties on the odd side of the road between 1890 and 1894.
- 1885: Alfred Toyer, drysalter;
- 1890: Alfred Toyer, drysalter and post office;
- 1910: George Haines, watchmaker;
- 1914: Frederic Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1920: Frederic Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1924: Frederic Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1928: Frederick Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1931: Frederick Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1936: Frederick Wilson, greengrocer;
- 1939: Mrs. Rose Wilson;
- 1940: Mrs. Rose Wilson, fruiterer and greengrocer;
- 1950: R. Wilson;
- 1960: Mrs. R. Wilson, fruiterer;
- 1965: Wilson’s (W. F. Bird) fruiterers and greengrocers;
- 1968: Wilson’s (W. F. Bird) fruiterers and greengrocers;
- 1972: R. and R. Wallpapers;
- 1974: not listed;
- 1975: V. Vulcano, tailor;
- 2011: Briganti Tailoring.