The Red Lion Inn Potton
The Red Lion Inn: 5 Market Square, Potton
5 Market Square and 1 Bull Street, which is the return frontage, were listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. 5 Market Square was also known as Lion Court. It was the former Red Lion Inn.
The house, now subdivided into flats, seems to date from the late 18th century but is actually a re-fronting of an earlier structure, presumably including the old inn. It is built in brick, with colourwashed rendering applied externally though there is some timber-framing; roofs are composed of clay tiles. The main block comprises two storeys and attics, with a two-storeyed block running westwards along Bull Street.
This inn must have closed before 1822 when the first countywide list of licensees was compiled [CLP13] as there is no Red Lion listed in Potton (the establishment in Station Road did not open until 1843).