48 King Street Potton
48 King Street February 2013
48 King Street was listed by English Heritage in October 1995 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing comments that the house is probably early 18th century, though re-fronted and re-fenestrated with a further bay added in the 19th century. The building is timber-framed with render on the front aspect and exposed brick on the south side. The 19th century addition is also in brick. The original part of the house has a tiled roof and the addition a pantiled roof.
The building was previously the Red Cow beerhouse. The 1876 countywide register of licensed premises states that this establishment was first licensed in 1848. It closed in 1908 becoming a private house.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Potton, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the property, then numbered 38 King Street [DV1/C12/42] found it owned and occupied by John Henry Mason. It contained a parlour, a living room, a kitchen and scullery on the ground floor with three bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “Very bad”.