18 Biggleswade Road Potton
18 Biggleswade Road September 2007
Today 18 Biggleswade Road is an attractive, foursquare yellow brick house. It dates from the mid 19th century and was previously a public house called the Shannon. This closed in 1915 and the building reverted into a private house.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the former public house [DV1/C9/30] found it owned by Albert Darlow and occupied by George Ernest Burrows, whose rent was £35 per annum, set in 1918. It was then called Beechcroft House.
Downstairs accommodation comprised two reception rooms and a kitchen, and upstairs were four bedrooms and a bathroom. A lean-to washhouse stood outside along with a lean-to wood and corrugated iron garage for a motor bus and a wood and tiled three stall stable with a loft over, used as stores. The valuer commented: “Detached but old, was a pub” and “Has a bath”. A later hand, writing on 8th June 1934 noted: “Inspect for Valuation for Sale. There is no bath”.