24 Market Square Potton
22 to 24 Market Square August 2013
22 to 24 Market Square were listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The block of three properties dates, if the date stone on the front is to be believed, from 1697. Construction is of red brick beneath a clay tiled roof and the block comprises two storeys with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 22 to 24 Market Square found that they were all owned by William Bond Smith, who owned a number of other properties on the square.
Number 24 was leased to Harriet Mary Bentley as a private house for a rent of £6/10/- per quarter set in 1925. The ground floor comprised a drawing room measuring 13 feet by 12 feet 6 inches, a living room measuring 12 feet by 14 feet 6 inches, a kitchen and a scullery. There was a disused cellar. The first floor contained a box room and three bedrooms measuring 12 feet square, 15 feet 6 inches by 11 feet and 9 feet 3 inches by 10 feet 6 inches. Disused attics lay above this. A two storey wood and tiled barn stood outside.