Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Potton > The Three Horseshoes Public House Potton

The Three Horseshoes Public House Potton

The Three Horseshoes Public House: 25 Market Square, Potton

25 Market Square February 2013
25 Market Square February 2013

The first record of the Three Horseshoes is in 1785 when William Butler was admitted to this copyhold property by the steward of the Manor of Potton Rectoria. From 1699 until 1756 the property is referred to simply as a dwelling house [Z1578/POT/2/1-9]. He had been devised it in the will of John Carrington, ironmonger, who died in 1784 [Z1578/POT/2/11]. In 1787 Butler sold the property by absolute surrender before the steward to Samuel Wells of Biggleswade, brewer [Z1578/POT/2/12]. Following Wells' death Frederick Hogg and William Lindsell, who carried on the business of Wells and Company were admitted in 1836 [Z1578/POT/2/14]

The countywide licensing register of 1876 states that it had then been licensed for over a hundred years and was owned by Thomas Benbow Kitchener of Potton, who was also the licensee. The public house was last licensed on 5th September 1878 and the licence was not renewed on the following September. The premises was later used as a printer and stationer's outlet.

References:

  • Z1578/POT/2/1: will of Ann Carrington: 1699;
  • Z1578/POT/2/3: absolute surrender of cottage: 1701;
  • Z1578/POT/2/4: admission to a cottage: 1702;
  • Z1578/POT/2/6: admission to a cottage: 1735;
  • Z1578/POT/2/7: admission to a cottage: 1738;
  • Z1578/POT/2/8: admission to a cottage: 1756;
  • Z1578/POT/2/11: admission to the Three Horseshoes: 1785;
  • Z1578/POT/2/12: absolute surrender of the Three Horseshoes: 1787;
  • CLP13: register of alehouse licenses: 1822-1828;
  • Z1578/POT/2/14: asmission of Frederick Hogg and William Lindsell: 1836;
  • HF143/1: register of alehouse licenses - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1872-1873;
  • HF143/1: register of alehouse licenses - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1874-1877;
  • HF143/1: register of alehouse licenses - Biggleswade Petty Sessional Division: 1878-1881

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1787: Thomas Ellis
1822-1839: Thomas Partridge;
1850: George Jams;
1874-1878: Thomas Benbow Kitchener
Public house closed 1878 or 1879.