The Talbot Inn Potton
The Talbot Inn: Hatley Road? Potton
This inn is known from two references in the 18th century. In 1703 the inn formed part of a marriage settlement, that is, it was offered by the groom as a jointure to his intended wife for her separate use if he died before her. The groom was Roger Burgoyne, son of Lord of the Manors (Burdetts, Much Manured, Rectory and Regis) Sir John Burgoyne, baronet and the bride was Constance, youngest daughter of Sir Thomas Middleton of Stansted [Essex], deceased [W2089]. The Talbot formed a parcel with four acres of pasture and a close called the Lawne. The combined rent was £13/8/- per annum.
In 1735 Sir Roger, as he had become, mortgaged some of his property to William Kelynge of Inner Temple, London, for £2,000. One of the properties mortgaged was the Talbot, along with the four acres of pasture and The Lawne [X439/45].
The Lawne lay south of Potton Wood on the south side of Hatley Road, from immediately south of today’s  water tower running some way east [A58 and MA58]. It is, therefore, possible that the Talbot lay somewhere in the vicinity, either side of the Hatley Road.
- W2089: Talbot inn as part of a settlement on the marriage of Roger Burgoyne and Constance Middleton: 1703;
- X439/45: mortgage from Sir Roger Burgoyne to William Kelynge of properties including Talbot: 1735;
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list. Italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:
1703: James Miller