Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Potton > Potton Market

Potton Market

The Clock House February 2013
The Clock House February 2013

Volume II of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1908. It stated: “The right of hlding a weekly market and fairs belonged to the Lord of Potton Manor from earliest times. Before the reign of King John (1199-1216) it was held on Sundays, but in 1203 the day was altered to Saturday on which day a market is held at the present time.

In 1287 William le Latimer claimed a weekly market in Potton. In 1501 the king [Henry VII] granted to John Burgoyne the profits of tolls of market in Potton for fourteen years and in 1544 Thomas Burgoyne received a perpetual grant of a Saturday market [W2087] and it is subsequently found attached to the manor”.