33 and 35 Royston Street Potton
33 and 35 Royston Street February 2013
33 and 35 Royston Street was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in October 1966. Like 24 Royston Street Potton Street nearby, it dates from the early 19th century. It is largely constructed of red brick and the front of the house has a chequerwork pattern; there is a yellow brick block at the rear. The roofs are slated and the principal block has three storeys, the rear block having two.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the properties found that Number 33 was then called Brook House and was owned and occupied by George Bartle [DV1/C12/143]. The house contained a dining room measuring 18 feet by 19 feet, a drawing room measuring 16 feet by 15 feet, a large entrance hall, a kitchen and a washhouse on the ground floor. The first floor comprised bedrooms measuring 18 feet by 19 feet and 16 feet by 15 feet, a dressing room measuring 7 feet by 6 feet, a bathroom and W. C. with a lavatory basin, a box and lumber room and a flight of back stairs. Three disused attic bedrooms lay on the second floor.
Number 35 [DV1/C12/144] then, as now, called Granville House was owned by a Mrs. Greaves and leased to Charles Greaves for £31/1/28 per annum. Ground floor accommodation comprised a kitchen measuring 14 feet 6 inches by 15 feet 6 inches, a dining room measuring 18 feet by 19 feet, a drawing room measuring 12 feet 6 inches square and a pantry. The first floor contained three bedrooms measuring, respectively, 19 feet by 18 feet, 12 feet 6 inches by 16 feet and 8 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 6 inches as well as a W. C. and lavatory basin. Two lean-two attics lay on the second floor but were disused. The valuer commented: "No Garden. No Hall. No Bath".
Extending north-east from the rear of the west end of Granville House was a building owned by George Bartle and leased by Potton and District Unionist Club for £20 per annum. There were two club rooms on the first floor approached by outside wooden stairs. They were in fair condition and had gas laid on. One measured 44 feet 3 inches by 15 feet 6 inches and the other 30 feet by 15 feet 6 inches and were used as a billiard room and bar respectively. There was a beer store underneath. The club had about a hundred members who paid subscriptions of 2/6 per year. Bar takings amounted to £342 per annum. The valuer commented: "Very poor Building. Old Barn".
Directories for Bedfordshire were not published every year but every few years from the early to mid 19th century until 1940. Kelly's Directory for 1898 lists Charles William Foskett at Granville House with C. Edgar Wills listed in 1903 and 1906 and George Bartle in 1928, 1931, 1936 and 1940. Earlier directories list William Chapman at 35 Royston Street in 1847 and 1850, Mrs. Chapman in 1862 and 1864, Charles Ford in 1885, Herbert Elliott Paxon in 1890 and Andrew Johnston Little in 1894.
Potton Conservative Club 1980 [Z50/91/64]