Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Potton > 28 Market Square Potton

28 Market Square Potton

27 and 28 Market Square about 1900 [Z1306/91]
27 and 28 Market Square about 1900 [Z1306/91]

27 and 28 Market Square were listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The former house “probably” dates from the 16th century and so is probably the oldest building remaining on the square. It was altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. It was originally timber-framed but has been partially rebuilt in brick, the whole being rendered externally in colourwashed roughcast. The roofs are composed of clay tiles and the property comprises two storeys.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Number 28 was, like Number 27, also owned by O. A. Bartle of 7 Market Square [DV1/C12/112]. His tenant was Marion Armond who was a confectioner and paid rent of six shillings per week. The valuer noted: “Corner shop”. The shop itself measured 14 feet 6 inches by 13 feet. The rest of the ground floor accommodation comprised a kitchen and a scullery. Upstairs were three derelict rooms used for “lumber” as well as two bedrooms measuring, respectively, 15 feet by 9 feet 6 inches and 12 feet by 13 feet.

Kelly’s Directory for 1906 lists Walter Armond, confectioner though, as the billhead below shows [X704/92/3/1], he was also a fruiterer and greengrocer. The subsequent directories up and including the last one for the county, 1940, all list Marion Armond.

Walter Armond billhead [X704/92/3/1]]
Walter Armond billhead [X704/92/3/1]