Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Potton > 10 Market Square Potton

10 Market Square Potton

9 and 10 Market Square February 2013
9 and 10 Market Square February 2013

9 to 11 Market Square was listed by English Heritage in March 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. The row of three dates from the early 19th century. They must postdate 1813 as a map of that date [W2/10] shows buildings in "The George Yard" behind the frontage today occupied by 9-11 Market Square, but nothing on the frontage itself.

The properties are built of brick, Number 10 having a chequerwork pattern made with vitrified bricks contrasting with the red bricks. The listing notes: “May incorporate earlier structure”. Each property comprises two storeys beneath a slate roof. The listing states that Number 10 was “included for group value”.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Potton found that 9 to 11 Market Square were all owned by a Mrs. Barker.

Number 10 Market Square [DV1/C11/121] was in the occupation of Samuel Fuller, described by Kelly’s Driectory as a butcher. His rent was £23 per annum for the premises and £12 per annum for stabling; again these rents were set before the Great War. The ground floor comprised a living room measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 14 feet 6 inches; a parlour measuring 11 feet 3 inches by 14 feet 6 inches and a kitchen as well as the shop which measured 10 feet by 15 feet 6 inches. A coal shed and W. C. were just outside. The first floor had a bathroom and W. C., a box room and bedrooms measuring 11 feet by 11 feet 3 inches, 9 feet by 15 feet and 11 feet by 7 feet 6 inches. In the yard at the rear were a wood and slate range comprising a three stall stable, a slaughterhouse with a large ice box, three animal pens, a wood and slate cart house and a corn room.

Fuller had been a butcher a long time. He is first listed in Kelly’s Directory of 1898 being listed in each subsequent edition (1903, 1906, 1910, 1914, 1920 and 1924) until his last listing in 1928. The directories for 1931, 1936 and 1940, the last for the county, all list W. T. Nichols and Sons as butchers at this address.

Samuel Fuller billhead [X704/92/30/1]
Samuel Fuller billhead [X704/92/30/1]