The Stone Lodge Sandy
The Stone Lodge December 2010
The Stone Lodge lies at the exit from the grounds of Hazells Hall, very close to the parish boundary with Everton. The lodge was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. It is constructed of ironstone and has one storey in an L-shape under a thatched roof. Naturally, as a lodge to Hazells hall, the property was built by the Pym family.
Distinguished Bedfordshire architect Bernard West sketched the lodge and the sketch and his comments were printed in Volume IV of The Bedfordshire Magazine in 1955, on pages 314 and 315. He noted that the style owed much to J. B. Papworth who wrote a book called Rural Residences in 1818.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting [DV1/C189/103] found it occupied by George Medlock.
His accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above. A larder and washhouse (“good”), earth closet and wood and thatched barn stood outside. The valuer commented: “fair” and “Weird”!