Solitude about 1900 [Z1306/99]
Solitude is well named, standing by itself on the east side of Swaden. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century. It is constructed of whitewashed roughcast over a timber frame and comprises one storey and attics beneath a thatched roof. More modern wooden accommodation with a tiled roof stands at the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Solitude [DV1/C148/118] found that it was owned by Francis Pym and occupied by D. Mitchell.
Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics above. Outside stood an earth closet, a brick and tiled washhouse, a wooden coal shed and a wooden pigsty and barn. Mains water was laid on.
Solitude March 2010