10 and 11 Pleasant Place Sandy
11 Pleasant Place in 1981 [Z50/99/22]
10 and 11 Pleasant Place lie near the old Baptist Chapel. The cottages were listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the properties to the 18th century. The buildings are constructed of roughcast render over timber-framing with some modern brickwork and comprise a single storey and attics beneath a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 10 and 11 Pleasant Place [DV1/C146/33-34] found them both owned by Fred Fennemore, a plumber whose offices were in the Market Square and who was also Captain of the Sandy Volunteer Fire Brigade. The buildings were then called Chapel Farm.
10 Pleasant Place was occupied by William Snowden. His accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and pantry with two bedrooms in the attics. A wood and corrugated iron washhouse stood outside, as did a w. c. and a shed.
11 Pleasant Place was occupied by carrier Albert Edwin Culverhouse who paid £12 per annum rent, which included a rood of arable nearby. His accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen, with two bedrooms in the attics. Outside stood a wood and corrugated iron scullery measuring 14 feet by 8 feet 6 inches, a barn, a wood and corrugated iron washhouse and shed.
10 Pleasant Place April 2010