Green Gables - 97 High Street Sandy
97 High Street March 2010
Green Gables, 97 High Street is a striking and obviously old building. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in November 1978 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It has the look of a farmhouse and is constructed of timber-framing with plaster infill. The house comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 97 High Street [DV1/C147/107] found it owned and occupied by market gardener George Truin.
Accommodation comprised three reception rooms, a kitchen, a brick, reinforced concrete and corrugated iron scullery and w. c. downstairs with four bedrooms, a boxroom and a bathroom and w. c. above. A brick and slate shed and old earth closet, a wood and tiled barn and shed and a brick and tiled washhouse stood outside. Also standing outside was a small conservatory measuring 8 feet by 14 feet. The valuer commented: “1st floor rooms low” and “poor situation”.
97 High Street in 1981 [Z50/99/26]