Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Sandy > 37 Ivel Road Sandy

37 Ivel Road Sandy

37 Ivel Road April 2010
37 Ivel Road April 2010

Ivel Road was formerly called Water Lane and to find a 17th century building here is surprising as most of the houses are very modern and the remainder no older than the 19th century. Number 37 was listed by the former Department of Environment in December 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. The house is timber-framed but has been refaced in whitewashed brick. It comprises two storeys beneath a clay tile roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Sandy, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 37 Ivel Road [DV1/C27/54], then called Woolfield, found it owned and occupied by market gardener Frank Ball.

Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen, pantry and washhouse with three bedrooms above. The valuer commented: “two small bay windows” and “Too much off road”. A timber and tiled pail closet stood outside. Adjoining the house were Frank Ball’s farm buildings [DV1/C27/11a] comprising a brick and corrugated iron range including a covered way, a two stall stable, a store shed and corn bin, a yard and temporary shelters.