8 and 9 Market Square Sandy
8 and 9 Market Square March 2010
Today  Gunn’s Bakery stands in the Market Square – a case of continuity of use of premises. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Gunn’s Bakery actually occupies two properties, formerly 8 and 9 Market Square.
The valuer found Number 8 Market [DV1/C146/55] square was owned by W. E. Everett and occupied by baker C. Robert Everett at a rent of £30 per annum. The brick and slate terraced property comprised a living room, kitchen, pantry and shop mesg 15 feet 9 inches by 12 feet with a projection of 15 feet 9 inches by 7 feet 3 inches. Three bedrooms lay above. Outside lay the bakehouse with a six bushel oven and a loft over. Also outside was a two stall brick and corrugated iron stable, a covered way and a w. c.
Number 9 [DV1/C146/54] was owned and occupied by harness maker A. W. Saunders. The premises comprised a living room, kitchen, pantry and shop measuring 15 feet 9 inches by 12 feet with, again, a 15 feet 9 inches by 7 feet 3 inches projection; three bedroom lay upstairs. Outside lay a brick and tiled washhouse and w. c., a corrugated iron garage measuring 8 feet 3 inches by 15 feet 6 inches and an old brick and corrugated iron stable and open shed.